Creative Commons License
Look Krung by C.W. Howe is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at lookkrung.blogspot.com/.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at lookkrung.blogspot.com/.

Friday, March 19, 2010

Fade to West

Time flies when you're living awesome. That's how my last 2 and a half months were. I have the words to describe it, but at the moment I have to write a 20-some page research paper about sustainable tourism in Northern Thailand before the end of spring break, so I have to save them. One thing I will say is that it is nice to finally be rid of mosquitos. They weren't exactly a constant problem, only in the bathrooms, at night time, and if they somehow got in the mosquito net. Also, at our village just outside Chiang Rai, they were about a million times worse, maybe the further north you go the more powerful they become. Malaria's supposed to be around the borderlands anyway, but what do I know? That I don't like gettin bit. When I came to my parent's lovely home in Hawaii and sat on the ol' toilet the way I do, I smiled gayly to myself. I didn't have to keep my legs moving, touching my exposed back and bum to keep 'squitos offa me like someone with Parkinson's. I could just sit there, relaxed, maybe light a scented candle, turn on some Marvyn Gaye. Back to Hi-So is what my family and friends would say. "Hi Society"

My return back to the States hasn't culture shocked me, but the reminder has been mentally noted. Going to Costco to do our shopping vs going to Thai open air markets (sometimes called ตลาดสด - fresh food market); more than 4 brands of beer to choose from (we gots ale? what is that?!); white eggs (?); less pollution; a generally higher appreciation for material goods (Is the iPhone 3GS worth it?!). Oh, and Cable TV, HBO, and oh! how could I forget - March freakin Madness!! Got back just in time. There are two lingering things that fail to excite me about being back State-side: Seattle's cold weather, and Seattle's even colder *shudder* girls. Neither of which I need to expound because if you know me well enough you know I'd just launch into a dramatic, moaning, rant despite having inadequate words to come out of it satisfied. Maybe that's the only reason anyone reads my silliness in the first place...

In all, I want to say that I've enjoyed my experience abroad in Thailand and value that experience as something that has, and will, inevitably affect the rest of my life. Cheers ProThailand, for a wonderful time. ขอให้มีความสุขกายสบายใจ ปราศจากทุกข์โศก โรคภัยทั้งหลายทั้งปวง

No comments:

Post a Comment